Search This Blog

Thursday, December 15, 2005


Here I am at the Presidental Palace of Thieu, notice the green "Bat phone" used by him and president Johnson. The sign does say not to touch the artifacts but since I served I felt I had the right to pose for my picture. The office is down in the basement much like Hitler's Bunker and just as nasty. He had a cot and a kitchen down there too and a secret passage out, for when the "going gets tough, the tough get going". There were all kinds of secret battle field plans on the map behind me and it had all the troop movements and strengths. It was all for nothing because without the full weight of the US military behind him the country crumbled like week old cake. Now with Doi Moi in place and the country headed towards economic prosperity and not to utter distruction that the hardliners were driving it, things are pretty good for the average Vietnamese.

No comments: