Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2005

"Bridge on the River Kwai Redoux"


This is the famous "Bridge on the River Kwai" of movie fame. We did a day trip out of Bangkok to see a few sites and the bridge and the Allied cemetery were the most interesting to me. British, Aussie and Dutch troops are buried there and it's most impressive. Well kept and maintained, not a blade of grass out of place. There's a cottage industry that's sprung up from the bridge and the cemetery and alot of tourist come to see it. They have a bit of a re enactment each night with a laser show and bombs going off. Alittle cheesey but if it keeps attention on the plight of the POW's from WWII and what they went through I guess it's OK! I was more than disappointed with Thailand on a whole and probably will never go back. I had heard many wonderful things about Thailand but it came up short for me. Too many people 12 million in Bangkok, too much traffic, and way too much squalor.

No comments: